- 1 2½- to 3-pound spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper, divided
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt, divided
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- ½ cup part-skim ricotta cheese
Preparation: Ready in 1 h 10 min.
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat to 450°F.
- Place squash cut-side down in a microwave-safe dish and add water. Microwave, uncovered, on High until the flesh is tender, 10 to 12 minutes. (Alternatively, place squash cut-side down on a large rimmed baking sheet. Bake at 400°F until tender, 40 to 50 minutes.)
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring, until starting to soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are tender and starting to brown, about 5 minutes more. Add tomatoes, Italian seasoning, ¼ teaspoon pepper, crushed red pepper and ⅛ teaspoon salt. Cook until heated through and the flavors have blended, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and cover.
- Use a fork to scrape the squash from the shells into a large bowl. Stir in Parmesan, the remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper and the remaining ⅛ teaspoon salt. Place the shells cut-side up on a large rimmed baking sheet. Spoon one-fourth of the squash-Parmesan mixture into each shell. Layer one-fourth of the tomato mixture on top, then sprinkle ¼ cup mozzarella into each shell. Dollop ¼ cup ricotta over the mozzarella. Repeat with the remaining squash mixture, tomato sauce and mozzarella.
- Bake the squash lasagnas for 15 minutes. Turn the broiler to high and broil, watching carefully, until the cheese starts to brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Cut each lasagna in half to serve.
- Serving size: ½ squash
- Per serving: 350 calories; 18 g fat(7 g sat); 7 g fiber; 34 g carbohydrates; 18 g protein; 72 mcg folate; 32 mg cholesterol; 15 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 977 IU vitamin A; 20 mg vitamin C; 432 mg calcium; 3 mg iron; 723 mg sodium; 988 mg potassium
- Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (43% daily value), Vitamin C (33% dv), Vitamin A (20% dv)
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2½
- Exchanges: 6 vegetable, 1½ fat, 1½ medium-fat protein