- Butter for the ramekins
- 12 asparagus spears, trimmed and halved
- 1¼ cups crumbled gorgonzola dolce (see Tips)
- ⅓ cup crème fraîche
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- Lemon zest & fresh parsley for garnish
Preparation: Ready in 50 minutes
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Put a kettle of water on to boil. Coat six 4- to 6-ounce ramekins with butter.
- Place a bowl of ice water near the stove. Place asparagus in a medium saucepan with water to cover. Cook over high heat until bright green and just tender, 1 to 3 minutes. Drain and plunge into the ice bath. Drain and pat dry.
- Whisk gorgonzola and crème fraîche in the saucepan over medium heat until melted and smooth, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat, add eggs and whisk to combine. Divide the mixture among the ramekins. Top with asparagus.
- Place a folded kitchen towel in a 9-by-13-inch baking pan. Place the ramekins on the towel. Add enough boiling water to the pan to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake the flans until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean and an instant-read thermometer registers 165°F, 14 to 16 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack; let cool for 10 minutes. Garnish with lemon zest and parsley, if desired.
- Equipment: Six 4- to 6-oz. ramekins
- Tips: Gorgonzola dolce, a spreadable blue cheese, is buttery, sweet and tangy. Find it at supermarkets with well-stocked cheese sections and at specialty cheese shops.
- Serving size: ¼ cup
- Per serving: 177 calories; 15 g fat(9 g sat); 1 g fiber; 2 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 20 mcg folate; 127 mg cholesterol; 1 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 528 IU vitamin A; 1 mg vitamin C; 170 mg calcium; 1 mg iron; 361 mg sodium; 68 mg potassium
- Carbohydrate Servings: 0
- Exchanges: ½ medium-fat protein, ½ high-fat protein, 1 fat