- ¾ cup white whole-wheat flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt plus a pinch, divided
- 1½ cups reduced-fat milk
- 2 large eggs, divided
- 1½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ⅛ teaspoon ground pepper
- ¼ avocado, mashed
- 2 tablespoons pico de gallo or fresh salsa, drained
- 1-2 teaspoons chopped pickled jalapeños (optional)
Preparation: Ready in 35 minutes
- Whisk flour, baking soda and ¼ teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Whisk milk, 1 egg and oil in a small bowl. Add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Coat a medium nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Ladle ⅓ cup batter into the center of the pan. Immediately tilt and rotate the pan to spread the batter evenly over the bottom. Cook until the underside is golden brown, 1½ to 2 minutes. Using a heatproof silicone or rubber spatula, lift the edge, then quickly grab the pancake with your fingers and flip it over. Cook until the second side is golden brown, about 1 minute more. Slide onto a plate. Repeat with the remaining batter, spraying the pan as needed and stacking pancakes as you go, to make 8 pancakes total.
- Wipe out the skillet and lightly coat it with cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Whisk the remaining egg, the remaining pinch of salt and pepper in a small bowl. Pour into the pan and cook, gently stirring, until set, 2 to 3 minutes.
- To assemble a wrap, spread avocado over the bottom third of 1 warm pancake. Top with the egg, pico de gallo (or salsa) and pickled jalapeños to taste (if using); roll up. Save the remaining pancakes for another time.
- To make ahead: Refrigerate extra pancakes between sheets of wax paper for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
- Serving size: 1 wrap
- Per serving: 444 calories; 35 g fat(7 g sat); 5 g fiber; 22 g carbohydrates; 12 g protein; 71 mcg folate; 222 mg cholesterol; 5 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 606 IU vitamin A; 6 mg vitamin C; 113 mg calcium; 3 mg iron; 701 mg sodium; 433 mg potassium
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1½
- Exchanges: 6 fat, 1 medium-fat protein, 1 starch, ½ vegetable